CCWA: How long have you been working for CCWA?
April: I have been working as a CCWA Cancer Support Coordinator (CSC) for approximately 3 years now (commenced August 2013) but have previously worked for CCWA Education and Research approximately 10 years ago.
CCWA: Tell us a little about yourself…
April: I grew up in Perth and now live in sunny Geraldton. I started my working career as a nurse and have also worked in community services, the disability sector and in cancer care. I have always enjoyed helping and supporting people in my chosen work.
CCWA: What do you love most about your role?
April: I love this role and the service because:
• It supports people going through a cancer journey in an individualised way.
• It is diverse.
• It allows me to work with a skilled supportive team with the common goal of reducing the stress of the cancer journey for clients and their loved ones.
• It is valued by the clients which makes the work very rewarding.
CCWA: What kind of services can you help the people of the Mid West with?
April: We assist people in the Midwest to access both CCWA and local community support services that include:
• Practical help including cleaning and gardening assistance
• Financial support
• Complementary therapies
• Information about support groups
• Legal and financial help
• Wig services
• Life now exercise and yoga
• Information about counselling and other local services.
CCWA: How can people best get in touch with you?
April: For further information about these services you can contact the CCWA Midwest office located in Geraldton on 9956 2408. We are located in the Community Health Centre on Shenton Street.