Christmas is a time for giving, but it doesn’t have to break the bank. To help, our LiveLighter Project Officer and Dietician, Anne Finch shares her top 5 ways to avoid a Christmas blowout.
1. Bulk up your meals with fruit and veg – opt for fruit and veggies that are in season for the cheapest and tastiest options. Don’t forget canned, frozen and dried fruit and veg all count too.
2. Prepare food yourself rather than buying them ready-made from the supermarket or deli. Making your own dips, cheese platters and salads are all quick and easy options. Making it yourself is also a great way to put a healthy spin on your fave dishes.
3. Avoid over-catering by being realistic about how much you and your guests will eat.
4. It pays to plan ahead - so set a budget and stick to it. It helps to take advantage of specials in the lead up to Christmas. You can also save by asking your guests to bring a dish along with them!
5. Prioritise your menu items. If you start to go over your budget, remove low priority items from your list.
Check out some quick and healthy recipes from LiveLighter here.