With two in three West Australian adults overweight or obese, we have put together our top 10 tips and recipe ideas to keep those extra kilos at bay while socialising throughout the Christmas season:
1. Before heading off to a party, have a healthy snack. You’re more likely to eat the high fat snacks if you arrive hungry.
2. Limit junk food party snacks like crisps, chips, deep fried foods, lollies and pastries. Crackers, cheese, fruit and nuts are better choices. If you're hosting, try out LiveLighter's eggplant dip or garlic-spiced oven roasted chickpeas.
3. Sugary drinks can add extra kilojoules very quickly. Space your drinks with water and opt for non-alcoholic drinks instead. Although alcohol doesn’t have fat it does have plenty of calories that can quickly add up. Try out chilling your water with frozen fruit ice cubes.
4. Choose fruit and veg first if they’re on offer at your Christmas function.
6. If you’re hosting, offer some lower fat alternatives: vegie sticks with low fat dip like hummus or a spicy salsa, and plenty of salads with meals. Try these tasty dips: broccoli dip, white bean pate and delicious tzatziki.
7. Create a healthy grazing table using a wide range of delicious summer fruits! Stone fruit, mangoes, cherries and grapes will all be in season. Try these easy and vegetarian-friendly LiveLighter recipes: blueberry and banana bread, summer mango salsa and watermelon and feta wontons.
8. Listen to your body and stop eating when you feel full.
9. Make exercise part of your day - join in Christmas backyard games or go for a walk. Keep active and aim for 30 minutes of physical activity.
10. Don’t skip meals. It’s important not to go to a function starving.