It's easy to get out of the habit of providing healthy food for kids during the school holidays and allowing junk or processed food to creep in as a regular choice for meal and snacks.
However, with only around 1 in 6 WA Kids eating enough vegies in their daily diet, it's crucial that we maintain healthy eating habits year round. Being prepared is the best way to do this. To help, we've put together some tips, take a look below.
Our top 6 tips for maintaining healthy habits over the holidays:
1. Try to continue ‘Crunch&Sip' breaks with your kids over the holidays.
2. Vegie sticks and homemade hummus or tzatziki are a great healthy snack.
3. Make fruit and veg the snack choice for your kids. Try serving it in fun ways, like fruit pieces on skewers, to make it more exciting.
4. Encourage kids to drink plenty of water in the hot weather to avoid dehydration. Try adding berries or cucumber pieces to mix it up a little.
5. While shopping, let kids choose the fruit and veg you will purchase - this encourages them to get involved and will help to build ongoing healthy eating habits.
6. Be a good role model. Kids are more likely to eat fruit and veg and drink water if adults are doing the same.