Prepare for all of the action of footy finals season with our healthy, delicious and easy to prepare alternatives to traditional high salt and high fat snacks!
Each recipe is recommended by our Cancer Council WA nutritionist, Anne and we can also guarantee that they're super tasty! Check out our top snack swaps, below:
1. Instead of meat pie, why not try these delicious spinach and cheese rolls?
Did you know that one meat pie contains three serves of junk food, 4 teaspoons of fat and one-third of an adult's daily salt intake?
2. Swap your saussage sizzle for these delicious avocado and prawn rice paper rolls!
Suggestion: Really don't want to forgo your sausage sizzle? Swap white bread to wholemeal and opt for lean meat like kangaroo sausages instead.
3. Ditch the chips and give these scrumptious pumpkin, leek and feta mini frittatas a go!
Did you know that one serve of hot chips from a fast food restaurant contains 1,540 kilojoules, 19.8 grams of fat and 2.3 grams of salt? Yikes!
4. Instead of salty crackers why not try this super easy homemade spicy popcorn recipe?
Did you know that some common crackers contain more salt than hot chips, meat pies and ham? Adding toppings to already salty crackers, such as cheese or Vegemite, makes the salt content even higher!
5. Swap out salted nuts for garlic roasted chickpeas!
Suggestion: Still craving nuts? Opt for unroasted mixed nuts with no salt instead!
6. Scrap alcohol and sugary soft drink and swap in this refreshing strawberry and mint infused sparkling water instead!
Did you know there are about 16 teaspoons of sugar in a 600ml bottle of regular soft drink?
Cancer Council WA delivers the LiveLighter initiative, which aims to encourage Australian adults to lead healthier lifestyles - to make changes to what they eat and drink, and to be more active.
You can find lots of great tips, resources and information at livelighter.com.au including these great ideas: