Whatever the occasion, parties at home or in the workplace often showcase a huge array of sweet and savoury foods which may not be too friendly for those wanting healthy options.
Our LiveLighter team have put together six fun catering ideas to put a healthy twist on your next big event;
1. It starts with a Capital P
Good entertainment is all about Planning. To make sure you get to enjoy the party with your guests, do as much preparation and cooking before they arrive.
2. Action stations
Make-your-own stations are great because everyone can build a meal how they want it. Fill the station with healthy ingredients such as a selection of vegetables, lean meats, nuts and low-fat sauces. Some ideas include:
- Vegie crudite station: have pre-chopped vegies like carrot, capsicum, broccoli and green beans to mix and match with a vegie dip like guacamole or salsa. Use in-season produce as they are bursting with flavour and usually most affordable.
- Noodle station: put out fresh noodles, salad leaves, grated carrot, capsicum strips, mint, coriander, bean sprouts, shredded chicken, chilli and nuts and let people make their own noodle bowl.
- Salad on a stick station: think of your favourite salad and put it on a skewer!
- Greek style - Cucumber, tomato, red onion and feta cheese
- Potato salad - cooked and cubed potato, egg, green beans
- Summer fav - watermelon, mint and feta cubes
- Everyday combo - lettuce, tomato, chicken, cucumber
- Fruit fiesta - strawberries, green grapes and pineapple
There's so much you can do with a few wooden skewers, and the best thing is that there is usually minimal mess!
3. Fruit & veg servers
Use fruit and veg as a quirky way to serve your food. Halved capsicum, mini cucumber cups, de-stalked mushrooms, apples sliced horizontally, cucumber boats, hollowed cherry tomatoes can be filled with couscous salad, salsa, dip, rice & legume mix.
4. Water, water & fun water
Always have water out for your guests. To make it more appealing, try still or sparkling water infused with chopped fruit and vegetables such as cucumber skewers, blueberry, pineapple & sage or sliced citrus water.
5. Wrap Platters
Instead of the usual sandwich platter, try wraps. Vegies, lean meat and fish wraps can be offered, with a mix of salad and veg combinations added with the fillings. Cut it into pinwheels so they are in smaller portions.
6. Vegie-based cakes
Forget the banana or carrot variety - try making a cake with beetroot, zucchini or pumpkin. You can add dried fruits, nuts and spices to the cake mixture. Bake them in baby muffin tins for fast cooking and ready-made serving size.
Small adjustments here and there to present a healthy menu for a special party can leave your guests feeling satisfied, not overstuffed and avoid the post-lunch slump!
This blog was originally published on LiveLighter.com.au.
- Cancer Council WA deliver the LiveLighter program, which aims to encourage Australian adults to lead healthier lifestyles - to make changes to what they eat and drink, and to be more active.
- You can find lots of great tips, resources and information at livelighter.com.au
- Download LiveLighter's Ultimate BBQ recipes booklet for more healthy catering ideas
- Download LiveLighter's Summer Recipes booklet for delicious and healthy inspiration for the warmer months