Pictured above: Our CEO Ashley Reid and President Dr Ruth Shean.
Message from our CEO and President.
There is no doubt that it has been an unprecedented year.
The sudden emergence of the COVID-19 pandemic did not stop the impact of cancer, with 33 West Australians hearing the words ‘You have cancer' every day.
Throughout this difficult time the commitment and dedication of our supporters has been unwavering. It has been humbling to witness such genuine passion as individuals and organisations continued to find innovative ways to raise funds online, or to dig into their own pockets to donate even when facing uncertainty themselves. As a community-funded organisation we simply could not continue our work without the support of so many and to see the community rally together and continue to show care and commitment to those affected by cancer is something for which we will be forever grateful.
It has indeed been an extraordinary year but one thing is certain, we could not have done it without you. On behalf of our Board, staff, volunteers and those we serve - thank you.
Chief Executive Officer
Dr Ruth Shean
President and Chair
Here's a snapshot of 10 key highlights in the 2019/2020 financial year:
1. 4891 check-ins at our Crawford and Milroy accommodation Lodges from country patients and their carers to access treatment in Perth.
2. 5953 contacts were received by 13 11 20, our cancer information and support line.
3. 1482 counselling sessions were provided at no cost to 775 people affected by cancer.
4. 396 patients were provided with pro bono legal, financial and workplace advice.
5. 1548 Transport to Treatment trips were provided from our Crawford and Milroy Lodges at no cost to regional cancer patients and their carers.
6. 6030 country cancer patients and carers received support from our regional Cancer Support Coordinators.
7. 2029 wigs, turbans, hats and scarves were provided to 471 cancer patients at no cost by our Wig Service.
8. We allocated $2m to support our cancer research program with 99 researchers across 40 projects funded.
9. 29,480 students crunched on fresh vegies as part of The Great Vegie Crunch event.
10. The SunSmart Schools and Child Care program now reaches more than 800 schools and centres, covering an estimated 114,500 kids across WA.
These are just some of the highlights from our 2019/2020 financial year. And all of this was only possible thanks to the incredible support and generosity of our amazing supporters.