- What accommodation does the Cancer Council offer?
- What costs are involved?
- What financial assistance is available?
- How do I make a reservation?
- Is there more information about living in the country with cancer?
Cancer Council WA has two self-catering accommodation facilities in Perth for country cancer patients and their carers.
- Both facilities are strictly smoke-free.
- Neither facility provides personal or nursing care, so guests must be able to either look after themselves or be accompanied by a carer.
- Both facilities offer free transport to hospital appointments and for shopping.
- Crawford Lodge is situated in Monash Avenue, Nedlands. It comprises 6 single units, 44 twin units and 3 family units. Priority is given to patients who need to have a carer with them during the course of their treatment.
- Milroy Lodge is situated in Bedbrook Place, Shenton Park. It comprises 24 single units and 2 family units. Priority is given to patients who are staying alone, however a carer can be accommodated for short periods of stay if required.
Rates per night :
- Cancer Patient (1st person) $60
- Carer (2nd person) $15
- Carer whilst patient hospitalised $60
- Extra person 16 + in family unit $37.50
- Children 12 - 15 $5
- Children under 12 Free
If you need to come to Perth for cancer treatment and live 100kms or more from the city, or in Northam or York, you may be eligible through the government's Patient Assisted Travel Scheme (PATS) for assistance towards the cost of your travel and accommodation.
Application for this assistance must be made via the PATS Clerk at your local hospital or through your treating doctor, prior to commencing your journey.
If eligible for PATS cover, you may not have to incur any costs other than personal telephone charges to stay at the Cancer Council's facilities, as the Cancer Council will invoice PATS direct for the cost of your accommodation.
Crawford Lodge is a two-storey building, set in beautiful landscaped gardens within the grounds of Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital. There is a lift to the second storey.
Milroy Lodge is a single-storey building situated within easy walking distance of local transport and surrounded by tranquil, natural bushland.
Both Lodges offer comfortable motel-style accommodation with:
• Ensuite bathroom
• Tea and coffee making facilities
• Telephone, television and reverse cycle air-conditioning
• Disabled access
On-site support and services include:
• Free transport to hospital appointments and for shopping
• Communal kitchen/dining and recreational areas
• Continental breakfast supplies
• Frozen microwavable meals available to purchase
• Community garden
• Theatre room
• Library with internet access
• WiFi & Skype facilities
• iPads on loan
• Free laundry facilities
• Weekly room service (towels and linen provided)
• Weekly social functions
• Cancer Council Wig Service (Milroy Lodge only)
• 24hour on-call assistance in case of an emergency
A Cancer Council WA Cancer Support Coordinator is available at the Lodges to provide support to those newly diagnosed and/or undergoing treatment for cancer, their families and/or carers through the provision of social, emotional and practical support.
Tel: (08) 9489 7333
Fax: (08) 9381 8696
Address: 55 Monash Avenue Nedlands WA 6009
Tel: (08) 9382 9333
Fax: (08) 9382 9330
Address: 15 Bedbrook Place Shenton Park WA 6008
Office hours are between 8am to 6pm Monday to Friday and Saturdays and Sundays from 8am to 12noon. Rooms will be available from 1pm. Guests are asked to check-in during reception hours unless transport arrival times prevent this. Check out time is 11am.
Go to our Living in the country page for further information.