Regional WA services

There are particular practical, emotional and financial challenges when navigating a metropolitan based treatment path and travelling long distances from home to access the right treatment. Cancer Council WA offers a number of support services that may be helpful to you. There may also be government assistance with some of your practical and financial needs.

What assistance can I get with information and decision-making with my cancer treatment?

The Department of Health in WA provides Rural Cancer Nurse Coordinators to assist country patients and their families with treatment decisions and advice. It is recommended that you contact them soon after you have a diagnosis or even a suspected diagnosis, as they can assist with communication and information.

The primary role of the Rural Cancer Nurse Coordinator is to improve the coordination of care between local and metropolitan services to ensure that patients have supported access to treatment options. They are the link in each region for the coordination of all services and are establishing strong links between all health professionals.

There is a Rural Cancer Nurse Coordinator based in Perth who facilitates the transition of care for rural cancer patients with complex coordination needs. The Healthy WA website will provide you with further information on this service.

There are many decisions to make about the treatment and care offered to you. It often helps to find out more about your illness and what may happen to you. You might find the making decisions about your cancer treatment page helpful.

[return to top]

What Cancer Council support is available in my region?

Cancer Council WA provide a range of practical and emotional support, professional services and information in various regional areas in Western Australia. Our Regional Cancer Support Coordinators can provide information, emotional support and can connect anyone affetced by cancer to local services and support groups in their area. For the contact details of the Support Coordinator nearest to you, go to Regional section on our  Contact us page.

If you are living in the Bunbury or Peel areas, we have Dot's Place, South West Support Centre and Dot's Place, Peel Support Centre where you can visit.

You can also access information and support by calling one of our Cancer Nurses on 13 11 20 who are available Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm.  Your questions can also be emailed to Cancer Council 13 11 20.

[return to top]

What accommodation is available for regional patients coming to the city for treatment?

Cancer Council provides quality subsidised accommodation for regional cancer patients and their carers in Nedlands and Shenton Park.

[return to top]

Is there assistance with travel and accommodation expenses?

Patients who live more than 100kms away from a metropolitan treatment centre are considered rural patients. You can find information on whether you may be eligible for assistance towards your travel and accommodation costs through the Patient Assisted Travel Scheme (PATS) on the Department of Health's WA Country Health Service website. You can also call Cancer Council 13 11 20 for a copy of the PATS information booklet.

People living within the town boundaries of Northam and York, which are within the 100kms limit of Perth CBD, may also be eligible for PATS assistance towards the cost of their travel and accommodation. To find out more you will need to speak to the social worker at your cancer treatment centre or call Cancer Council 13 11 20.

[return to top]

Is there a support group I can join?

You may find a support group is of benefit to link you to other patients in your area. Groups often talk about their common issues, coping strategies and about the services available to you in your community. Cancer support groups generally meet regularly and are facilitated by a health professional or a person who has had a cancer experience and facilitation training.

Support groups meet in a range of ways. Some meet face to face, however there is a growing trend for people to meet via a telephone or as an online group.

For more information about groups available to you, visit the Support Groups page.

[return to top]

I’m a carer living in the country and it can sometimes be isolating. Is there any support for me?

Information may be helpful on our Caring for someone with cancer page.

[return to top]