Where to go for more information
A number of organisations are working to promote the many benefits of physical activity. To find out more about some of the different programs available in Western Australia choose from the links below.
Western Australian Campaigns
- LiveLighter is a statewide program delivered by Cancer Council WA with funding provided by the WA Department of Health. LiveLighter aims to encourage Western Australian adults to lead healthier lifestyles - by making changes to what they eat and drink, and being more active.
- Your Move is a free program that provides information and support to individuals, schools and workplaces to help people find more active, healthy ways to get around.
- The Better Health Program is a free healthy lifestyle program for kids 7-13 and their families.
- The MAN v FAT soccer league is a low-cost 14-week soccer league for men who want to lose weight.
- Stay on Your Feet provides information and exercise classes for over 60's.
- Play Active is a joint initiative between research institutes, universities, ECEC services and agencies, government and not-for-profit organisations. Play Active aims to support ECEC providers to promote healthy physical activity and sedentary behaviours in young children attending care.
Western Australian Organisations
- Department of Local Government, Sport and Cultural Industries, Government of Western Australia is responsible for the implementation of government policy and initiatives in sport and recreation. A key role of the department is to contribute to the healthy lifestyle of Western Australians by increasing physical activity in the community through sport and recreation.
- Move it Aus is an initiative of Sports Australia which aims to help all Australians become fitter, healthier and more active.
- Jump Rope for Heart is a national physical activity and fundraising program for schools delivered by the Australian Heart Foundation.
- Get on Track is a free, online, team-based challenge to increase physical activity and fruit and veg intake.
- The Adult Better Health Program is a low-cost, online, healthy lifestyle and weight management program.
- Heart Foundation Walking lets you find a walking group near you!
- ParkRun organises free, weekly, 5km timed runs around Australia.
- My Healthy Balance is a free, interactive, healthy lifestyle program.
- Exercise Right is a national campaign developed by Exercise & Sports Science Australia (ESSA). They provide information and free workout videos and resources to help you get active.
- Girls Make Your Move aims to inspire, energise and empower young Australian women to be more active.
- The Healthy Weight Guide is an initiative of the Australian Government, Department of Health and Ageing. It provides information and advice on healthy body weight, healthy eating and physical activity.
National Physical Activity Recommendations
- The Physical Activity Recommendations developed by the Australian Government, Department of Health, outline the minimum levels of physical activity required to gain a health benefit and ways to incorporate incidental physical activity into everyday life.