SPOTLIGHT ON: Exposure to carcinogens in the Workplace 2015
The SPOTLIGHT ON: Exposure to carcinogens in the workplace 2015 forum was held on 21 May, 2015 at the Parmelia Hilton, Perth WA. This was a local forum highlighting prevention and elimination of occupational cancer risks in Western Australia.
Exposure to carcinogens in the workplace is estimated to cause over 5,000 new cases of cancer in Australia each year. Despite these numbers, which far outweigh fatalities due to accidents within the workplace, little progress has been made within Australian regulatory frameworks to reduce exposure of workers to carcinogenic agents. Occupational cancers continue to contribute to the overall burden of cancer within Australia, but these occupational cancers are wholly preventable though correct management and mitigation of risks associated with carcinogenic agents in the workplace.
Prof John Cherrie (Heriot Watt University, IOM) presented as the keynote speaker at the event on Occupational cancer in Europe - working towards solutions.
Other forum speakers and their presentations included:
- Terry Slevin, Education & Research Director Cancer Council Western Australia - Occupational exposures to carcinogens in Australia: workers' compensation paid for occupational cancer 2000-2012
- Prof Lin Fritschi, School of Public Health Curtin University - Dealing with uncertainty in the evidence
- Assoc Prof Alison Reid, School of Public Health Curtin University - Asbestos - new challenges for an old problem
- Dr Renee Carey, School of Public Health Curtin University - Australian Workplace Exposure Study
- Dr Susan Peters, School of Population Health University of Western Australia - Cancer risks of diesel exhaust exposure in WA
- Mark Strickland, SunSmart Manager Cancer Council Western Australia - Occupational exposure to ultraviolet (UV) Radiation
Download a copy of the latest Cancer Concil WA monograph on occupational exposures to carcinogens here.
Download the forum program here.
If you have any enquires about the SPOTLIGHT ON: Exposure to carcinogens in the workplace 2015 please email us.
For further information please contact the forum coordinator by email or phone (08) 9388 4333.
This event is proudly presented by Cancer Council Western Australia and our partner.