Sun exposure in childhood and adolescence greatly increases the chances of developing skin cancer later in life. The SunSmart Centres program aims to minimise exposure to UV radiation from the sun during early childhood development.
To learn more about the SunSmart Centres program click on the links below:
The Australian Children's Education and Care Quality Authority's National Quality Standard requires all childcare services to have a sun protection policy. Early childhood centres have a duty of care to minimise children's exposure to the sun and provide an environment that encourages sun protection behaviours.
The SunSmart Centres program assists childcare centres to develop and maintain sun protection policies and put them into action.
Joining the SunSmart Centres program demonstrates a commitment to securing the future health and well-being of children and staff.
SunSmart Centres comply with the following minimum standards:
- A sun protection policy is implemented whenever the UV Index reaches 3 or above.
- All children and staff wear a broad brimmed, legionnaire or bucket hat when outside.
- The use of SPF 30 or higher broad spectrum water resistant sunscreen is required.
- Sun protective clothing is required.
- Play experiences about sun protection are included in the education program.
- The sun protection policy is reflected in the planning of all outdoor events
- Outdoor experiences are rescheduled, whenever possible, to minimise time outdoors when the UV Index is 8 and above.
- The centre has sufficient shade or is working towards increasing shade in the outdoor play space.
- The centre reviews its sun protection policy regularly.
- SunSmart Centres will be reassessed every three years to confirm sun protection practices.
To become a SunSmart Centre, simply:
- Develop and implement a sun protection policy. A SunSmart Centres sample policy (pdf, 394kb) is available for centres to adapt. If you need help developing a sun protection policy, the SunSmart Child Care: a guide for service providers booklet is packed full of sun protection advice, information and tools for policy and shade development. Find it on our publications page.
- Complete an application form online or download the SunSmart Centres Application Form (pdf, 892kb). For information on details we collect, please see our Privacy Collection Statement (pdf, 51kb).
A joining fee is payable upon qualification as a SunSmart Centre.
Child Care Centres: $75 (incl GST)
Family Day Care services: $50 (incl GST)
Renewal of SunSmart membership: no charge
Replacement sign fee: $50 (incl GST)
SunSmart Centres receive:
- SunSmart Centre sign;
- SunSmart Centre membership certificate;
- Supporting resources to assist staff in promoting sun protection; and
- Ongoing updates, support and advice.
For more information please email the Sunsmart Education Coordinator or call (08) 9212 4333.
Cancer Council WA requires SunSmart Centres to review their sun protection policy every three years to maintain their SunSmart membership. Renewal of membership is free of charge to the original centre management.